SKYPE™ THERAPY – FACTS & FIGURES
- Online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has been found to be just as beneficial as face-to-face therapy1.
- Outcomes following online relationship therapy have been rated similarly to outcomes folowing traditional face-to-face therapy2.
- The efficacy of remote therapy, particularly for issues such as depression, phobias and eating disorders, has been demonstrated in research carried out in both Europe3 and North America4. Even in areas where face-to-face therapy is necessary (e.g. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder), remote therapy has shown to be useful as an adjunct.
- 20 per cent of therapists on the Counselling Directory offer some kind of online, email or telephone counselling, often including Skype Therapy5.
- Skype doesn’t have to replace face-to-face therapy. Some of my clients combine Skype with traditional face-to-face therapy.
- Skype Therapy is accessed by clients of all ages – my eldest client is in her 80s!
- By 2011, 77 per cent of households were connected to the internet6.
- In 2010, 6 million people in the UK used their mobile phone to access the internet7.
- Users of mobile video calling services are predicted to hit over 130million by 20188.
- With over 650 million users in 2010, Skype is more popular than any traditional phone carrier in the world9.
1. The Lancet (2009). Therapist-delivered internet pschotherapy for depression in primary care: a randomised controlled trial.
2. Mallen, J.M. (2005). Online Counselling. Reviewing literature from a counselling psychology framework. The Counselling Psychologist.
3. University of Zurich (2013, July 30). Psychotherapy via internet as good as if not better than face-to-face consultations. ScienceDaily. Retrieved September 29, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130730091255.htm.
4. University of Montreal (2010, March 24). Therapy via teleconference? Professor studies remote psychotherapy. ScienceDaily. Retrieved September 29, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100323121759.htm.
5. Counselling Directory 2014.
6. Office for National Statistics 2011.
7. Office for National Statistics 2010.
8. Juniper Research 21/10/2014.
9. Morgan Stanley and Gigaom 2011.